Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Life as a young person with downs syndrome Louise O'farrell


The following was an article written by Louise O'Farrell and appeared in Coventry Telegraph 20/06/08 for part of learning disability week:

Having Down's syndrome is a hateful condition because I do not like my size, my weight or my looks.

Some people stare at me when I go out on my own. Sometime I get people asking me how old I am and when I tell them they don't believe me. I also find it hard to express my feelings and thoughts to other people when in turn they aren't prepared to listen to me. They nearly always speak over me which leaves me frustrated and angry that I can't get my views across.

I feel that I have a full life and have achieved a lot. My best achievement was getting a distinction in my history OCT Certificate Achievement Award. The certificate and prize were presented by HRH Duke of Edinburgh at a ceremony in London.

I enjoy reading Harry Potter books and could tell you the story by heart. I go to the cinema sometimes; some of the films like Harry Potter are good, although there are some I'm not so fond of. I also like going out with friends around Coventry and going for pub, Indian and Chinese meals.

I attend the Grapevine drop in centre where I have joined the Healthy Living Team. They go to hospitals and do presentations on how to have a healthy lifestyle.

I also do DJing. I have done scratching, beating and cross fading and made a CD of different songs. I am part of D:Vine a group that runs monthly club nights at Taylor John's in the canal basin. I play pop music which makes people want to dance. My DJ name is DJ Wizard, because I put on wizard music.

I have been a dancer since I was eight years old. I have danced for my grade work and really enjoy it. Every year we put on a show and I like practising for the shows. This year I did a tap number to 'Puttin on the Ritz'. A ballet number for 'Nobody does it better' Goldfinger from James Bond and 'One' from a Chorus Line. It was a difficult dance to learn and at the end of the final performance my dance teacher congratulated me on how well I did. My sister Alice cried when she saw me doing the dress rehearsal because she had never seen me dance before. She was always in the performance dancing on the opposite side to me. She said I did it perfectly and kept in time with everyone.

I have lots of good friends and family who like to look after me and help me do things that I'm not so good at. I make everyone laugh when I say funny things. My laugh is always a happy laugh, which makes people want to smile.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Louise
    My name is Sara Jane Gorman from Wolverhampton. I have Autism.
    I have a website about the work I do with the group I am in called Our Shout supported be Mencap. Sararevealed.blogspot.com/
    I have read the blogs written by yourself and your group, it all sounds very interesting what you all like and what you all do together.
    I enjoy writing poetry, short stories, drama, drawing and painting. In the past I used go horse riding, swimming and I used to knit. I haven't had time to do those things for years. I also used to enjoy playing darts in the pub.
    I hope to haer from you soon.
    From
    Sara
    Ps My email address is sarajgorman@googlemail.com or I am on Facebook sarajgorman@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete